Check It: DADI |

 




You Decide #1

I am going to start a series of "You Decide" blog entries that will lay out a hand that I encountered. If you'd like, please post a comment telling me your opinion on whether I played the hand well or not.

So, without further adieu, Questionable Hand #1:

I was in the big blind in a $1 tournament, short stacked. UTG (under the gun, the person to the left of the big blind) and UTG+1 (the person to his left), limped in. The button doubles the blind. I, with KsJx (King of spades, Jack of an unknown suit), called. UTG and UTG+1 call. The flop comes with 3 spades, with the highest card an 8. UTG+1 raises 500 (about half the pot). Me and UTG call. The next card is an off suit, unimportant card. I pushed all in, for about 600. UTG called with pair of 8s (one in his hand, the other on the board). What happened? Last card is a K. My Ks beat his 8s. Was it a good call from me on the flop? Was it a good all in for me on the turn? You tell me.

My analysis, which is definitely biased, is that my play was decent. On the flop, I had a potential K high flush. My only fear was a As out there. I also had two overcards, which if paired could beat the board. Someone else, however, may say that I was reckless and got lucky. So, if you have an opinion, post it. Next time I come across another questionable hand I'll post it up.

Happy poker everyone.

posted by Jordan @ 1:14 PM,

4 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Pauly said...

Nice catch! You had a flush draw and over cards... to his 88. It was a good move since he had 88.

I try not to semi-bluff a flush draw like that unless I have the ace, especially if you move all in.

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything seems kosher through the turn. The semi-bluff thereafter is what kinda surprised me. There is definately some luck involved there... but when none of your outs hit on the turn... in most tourney scenarios, it would seem that you have just ran out of all the good options you had. From the way you described the hand, there are strong negatives by whatever move you make here. (a check it seems would almost guarantee another bet here anyway).
Your back was to the wall, and I think what you did was kinda bold, and you must have sensed you just ran out of good options.... (however remote... you never know, he might fold!) Already short-stacked..... folding puts you in a miracle-required-here mode.

Good move.

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Al-Eldred. Looking back, I don't know if I made the right move. It's been a while, and if I did it now, I would've folded on the flop to the large bet. K high flush draws aren't good if someone already made the flush (less spades left) and/or someone has the A-high draw. Those are the hands you go bust on.

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry mate but I think thats awful play you sucked out to him on the river he was ahead all the way.

You should either fold if he is a tight player to the bet or re-raise his bet on the flop if he is loose, a call there is pointless.

You will bleed chips chasing draws.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home