Check It: DADI |

 




No Goal

A 2008 Recap post sounds good on paper, but if you really want to know how 2008 went for the HoP, you can read my archives. It's why I gots them!

All that said, I think it necessary to reflect a bit on the one goal I set for myself in 2008. The goal was simple: win $8,000. The results: FAIL!

This year was the first year in the four years I've been tracking such things that I failed to reach my goal. In 2005, the goal was to win $1,200, basically $100 per month. I succeeded. In 2006, my goal was to win $1,800, but when I saw that as doable, I increased the goal to $3,000 and beat that too. In 2007, the goal was to win $6,000, and I hit that mark by the skin of my nose. So, it would seem $8,000 was not an insurmountable task, but frankly, it just didn't happen. My tally for 2008: a paltry $1,500 and change.

It's not a good sign for HoP. Not only did I fail, but it was an epic fail. If there was a silver lining, it would be the fact that I am still profitable overall. I've breaken the 5-figure mark for lifetime earnings (actually did that in 2007) and for a hobby, poker pays a lot better than most. Still, the weak showing naturally leads to thoughts about what it means. From my perspective, though, I think it means little. Allow me to explain.

This is a long term game. Every year I experience that reality all over again, when I face a long period of bad cards, bad luck, or bad play. Whatever the case, I had my period of struggle this year followed by a period of break-even poker. This is discouraging, but the past is the past, and all I can do is look to the future. I know I'm profitable, I still love the game. That should be all that matters for the time being.

My goal for next year? Quite frankly, I don't really want one. I'll probably stick to $8,000 for the year, since I didn't accomplish it this year. Realistically, though, I've come to realize that the artificial start/stop point of Jan 1 - Dec 31 is doing me no service. It might be more interesting to see how long it takes me to reach that $8k goal starting without wiping the slate clean. Rather than asking, "Can I win $8,000 in a year?" I'll ask, "How long will it take me to win $8,000, starting from Jan. 2008?"

For those out there with daily swings of $8,000, well, I envy you. Unfortunately, my online game is very inconsistent and my live play is rarer than I'd like, although I have a nice game set for Thursday.

So, there you have it. A modest goal for 2009, a sad result for 2008, but silver linings. Poker is what we make of it, and for me, it is a lifelong pursuit. Short term or even year-long results only matter as much as you let them. Sure, if I hit or beat the $8k mark, I'd be singing my own praises right now, but that is the beauty of being a self-involved, narcissistic blogger. It's just one of the perks.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 10:12 AM,

1 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

At least you aren't a break even player!

Congrats on a POSITIVE year!

IT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home