Check It: DADI |

 




HoP for the Elderly

Amongst the side effects of having a blog comes a very basic understanding of html code. I've heard people say that they would blog but they don't know how to. At its most basic level, the technology is exceedingly easy. You fill out some prompts and you are ready to go.

But at some point, I became bored with my template and I decided to redo the scene. TripJax was a huge help, and I couldn't thank him enough.

Still, over a year later and there was still one thing that always bothered me about my site. The text size. I had made other tweaks to my blog before, changing the HoP banner or altering the side bar, but the text size always seemed to elude me.

Fortunately for you, I took some bad beats in poker last night. After losing two token SNGs, I decided to give up for the night. Poker can be a brutal game on the psyche and since my return from Vegas, I just cannot escape suckout city. So, I decided to turn my attentions elsewhere.

My two grandfathers are both very handy guys. My maternal grandfather used to work for the MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority), first as a mechanical or electrical engineer and finally in some management type role. Around the house, he was very handy. Even to this day, I can tell when he's visited my parents' home. Suddenly, a creaky door no longer creaks, or a broken light fixture works. My paternal grandfather was a foreman for interior construction. Ostensibly, this should mean that he would be handy with tools, too, and from my eyes, he was. Still, I remember that whereas my maternal grandfather knew how to fix things, my paternal grandfather was a tinkerer. He would get his hands into something and figure it out as he went along. This resulted in varied success, but it also meant that my paternal grandfather would try anything.

I am a tinkerer. Growing up, I was always taking things apart, often without an exit (or should I say reformation) strategy. When it came to electronics, I was the one to set them up at the High household. New VCR? Get Jordan. Cable's not working? Jordan. Someone ate all the acorns? ALVIN!

In fact, my tinkererness has continued to this day. When I'm back on Long Island, I'll help my family set up a new Hi-Def TV. In the office, a co-worker comes to me to fix his computer problems, even though my on-paper knowledge of computers is painfully shallow. But I'm a tinkerer. It's what I do.

So, with that same tinkerer's eye, I went searching through the magical HTML code, and unlike the husk of a computer sitting at my parents' basement, this time I got it right.

So...Presenting High on Poker! Now, for the Elderly.
Put down that Owl Optical Wallet Magnifier and enjoy the beautiful 100% sized text for your focal pleasure. Sit back, relax and read your High on Poker like it was meant to be consumed, in a reclined stupor. Go ahead. You deserve it.

I don't know about you, but my eyes are thanking me already.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 9:02 AM,

6 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to reduce eye strain, your next step should be to change from a pure white font (0xFFFFFF) to a slightly more gray one (0xEEEEEE or 0xDDDDDD). This will reduce contrast with the black background and make it easier on the eye.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Wow! I'm learning more already! I'll try it out. Thanks, Anonymous.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Thanks for doing this...serious, it was hard to read some of the past post.

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Black text on white background would be even better.

And when you going to come play 5/5 at Salami?

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

God damn, you anonymous guys are demanding. HoP will not go white. This isn't a Word document.

And when will I play 5/5 at Salami? Probably never. I think I've had my fill of that place. I have no reason to go there. I found another nice small room, and Salami has changed too much from the days when I really enjoyed a place. Bigger stakes = bigger buy-ins = bigger profile = increased chance of raids and robberies. Besides, I'm trying to keep away from underground rooms anyway, so I'm glad I'm no longer as interested in Salami.

But good luck to you, though. And don't hold me to this. I'll probably be back to Salami in a month.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger BWoP said...

Great. Now it's going to take me 3x as long to scroll through your trip reports.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home