Check It: DADI |

 




Hoy and Miss

I was mighty pissed when the Hoy started last night. Because of last week's live poker marathon, I was looking forward to mixing it up with the blogging crowd and once I saw wifey Kim's eyes start to settle and eventually close, I grabbed the computer and started up Full Tilt. I signed up for the tournament, sat back and watched some TV, and then at 10:01, looked back at the monitor, perplexed that the tournament hadn't started. That's when I realized that I never entered the password. Yep, I "signed up" wrong and had to sit this one out.

By then, Heroes had ended. Folks, if you don't watch Heroes, do yourself a favor and buy/rent/steal it when it comes out on DVD. For all the wonder and merriment that is Lost, Heroes is ten time greater. It's like they took all that was exciting about Lost (the well-developed characters, the large ensemble case, the scifi elements, the mystery, the twists) and got rid of all that sucked (slow pacing, odd storytelling, throw-away episodes, off-the-cuff writing). If you like superheros, you already watch the show. If you don't like superheros, watch it anyway. The writing is grounded in reality, something that I think it crucial to make scifi stories resonate with a real world audience. Oh, and for all you comic book fans, wasn't the whole 5-years in the future storyline a classic comic book move. How many books or storylines can you think of where the story jumps ahead into the future to show what the world will be like if you don't stop the Sentinels/the Justice League fails to teach the new breed of superheros about restraint/yourself from becoming a despotic ruler of a post-apocalyptic future. $11 for a Mookie to whoever can name the three series that those bare-bones story summaries come from.

But this isn't about Heroes or heroes. This is about the Hoy. I fucked up, plain and simple. In fact, this is the second time I've done this. I remember staring at the screen and thinking, DAMN IT! I felt the tilt coming on, so I decided to turn off FT and do something else, anything else. Of course, 15 minutes later, the tilt was subsiding and I still wanted to play poker, so I fired up the FT again and settled into a $20 45-person MTT.

I played smart, mostly tight to start off, but also playing according to table conditions. Before I knew it, we were down to two tables and I began to chip up. By the final table, I was in about 2nd place, and ultimately went out in 3rd for $124 profit. It wasn't the Hoy, but it was more profitable. When I first learned how to play guitar (I have since unlearned it), I played an acoustic, the logic being that it was easier to go from the difficult accoustic strings to the easier electric strings. The same can be said for blogger tournaments. Play them first, work up those poker calluses and then move onto the regular fields. It's a regular walk in the park.

With that win, I felt satisfied. I considered cashing out $200 of the bankroll. Expenses have been tight ever since the taxman kicked my ass. I'm still contemplating.

Otherwise, poker is good and life is good. No complaints for me. Now, if I can just remember not to F up when I register for Wednesday's Mookie.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 9:06 AM,

10 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take a stab at that trivia.

1) The Matrix
2) Justice League Unlimited
3) Mad Max

I think I'm close with 1 and 3. #2 is a total guess.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger MattyEbs said...

The first one is Days of Future Pastone of my favorite X-men storylines, Shadowcat is a fucking badass
The second could be the Justice Lords from JLU but new breed makes me think it may have to do with second generation heroes like Supergirl and the huntress
The third is a little too generic to pick just one but I guess I can go with Conan the Barbarian, maybe Thanos and the infinity gauntlet...they are only guesses at this point...back to finals

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Okay, maybe these are too tough, although one person got one answer right and was fairly close on the second one. Let's add more detail. I'll add details to the second and third scenario:

2. The Justice League fails to teach the new breed of superheros about restraint causing a nuclear explosion in middle America

3. yourself from becoming a grey-haired, balding despotic ruler of a post-apocalyptic future where your two personalities combine but to an evil result.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Alceste said...

3. The Hulk (but wasn't actually called the Hulk -- that said, I no longer have any idea what that name is...)

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

I only got the x-men one, and only because there was a level in the future in the Sega Genesis Xmen game I had. Cyclops was badass in the game, it wasn't until the movies came out that I realized he was a huge vag.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Kingdom Come Titans is #2. Not sure if you know it by a different name.

Ahhh google.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The password for the Mookie is vegas1. Remember, you need the password to enter a tournament. When you click on the dot, a space appears. Enter the password in that space. Then click enter.

Good luck entering The Mookie. Once again it's Vegas1.

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard you can download the Heroes episodes at http://www.got-heroes.com/

Although I haven't watched the show, a friend who is addicted to the series let me know about that website.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger WindBreak247 said...

This latest episode of Heroes was PHENOMINAL. When I heard it was gonna be good and then when I heard it was good (wife and I didn't get it watched until last night), I had no freakin' clue just how good it was really gonna be. I LOVE THIS SHOW.

If you don't mind my asking, what would/do you use for moving money in and out of sites. I haven't moved money since Neteller and am thinking I may need to next month, and I'm just wondering what method is best. If you could leave me a comment or email (my addy is on my blog) that would be great, otherwise I'll check back. Thanks!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Hey Windbreak, I have had no problems (other than some inconvenience at time delays and small charges and such) with epassporte or mywebtatm. Mywebatm was a lot faster for full tilt, but pokerstars doesn't take them so i tend to use epassporte for ps xfers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home