Check It: DADI |

 




You Decide #70...Once Again

I read the comments to my last post from Hoy, Drizz and CK and I think its worth one more post to highlight a very intelligent point made by these players and to admit that, yes, sometimes, I have to eat some of the ole humble pie and admit that maybe I don't know everything...maybe.

My mistake was this: I couldn't see how Hoy could say with certainty that my opponent had the nut straight. I thought there were other hands that made sense there too. That may be true...if the only piece of info I had was the board and the bet on the turn, but with everything leading up to that point, the writing was on the wall.

As explained by the aforementioned trinity (guess who gets to be the Holy Ghost!), given the amount of players in the hand up to the flop, when one of those player flat calls the flop bet on a highly coordinated straight board with a flush draw and then leads out when a harmless card comes on the turn, the player has a straight.

In hindsight, I can't see how I missed that obvious point. What other player flat calls on the flop and open bets on the blank turn. It ain't two pair or a set because those guys are probably still scared of the flopped straight board and want to see more cards for cheap.

I probably got too wrapped up in the fact that I checked the turn. I took that as him taking an opportunity to bet out and steal the pot with a weaker holding, which still makes sense, in a way. But just as likely (er, let's admit it, way more likely given the five preflop players) one of the players who made the flop actually hit his nut straight and the turn card simply emboldened him to take down the pot right away before one of the flush draws hit.

So, thanks to Hoy, Drizz and CK for setting me straight.

Until next time, I fold!

posted by Jordan @ 5:50 PM,

2 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger BWoP said...

Here's the big takeaway (or at least one of them): a major difference between PLO and NLHE is that made hands just aren't played the same way. This is particularly true with flopped straights and flopped sets, as well as made hands with no re-draw on a draw heavy board.

Your series of posts also got me thinking of something that Darko used to say a lot. "Let the hand solidify on the turn." Even though Darko doesn't play a lot of omaha (from what I can recall), the turn is where the big decisions really come into play. That's where you'll start to find your edge that you are used to seeing pre-flop and on the flop in NLHE.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Also, you're playing post-flop for more streets WAY more often than NLHE.

Have fun with it, maybe even hit up the Venetian PLO cash game. I've been giving it some thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home