Check It: DADI |

 




My Weekend, by HoP

*** WARNING: MINIMAL POKER CONTENT***

Hey yo, peeps! I had a lovely weekend with a little bit of online poker, all of which was unsuccessful. Friday night saw me spending some much-needed downtime with wifey Kim. Saturday, I had to work in Newark in the afternoon, but in the evening, wifey Kim and I saw a comedy show starring Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood from Whose Line is It Anyway?

I don't know if anyone is a fan of either comedian or the old TV show, but wifey Kim and I were fans back in the day, so when I heard they would be in town, I picked up some tickets well in advance. Before the show, we ate at our favorite steakhouse, Ruth's Chris, which is still the best one out there. Since I last went to Ruth's Chris, I had visited Peter Luger's (regarded as the best of the old school steakhouses) and CraftSteak (celebrity chef Tom Colicchio's extra-expensive new school steakhouse). After Luger's, I thought I found a new winner for best steakhouse. CraftSteak was actually very disappointing, so no big deal there. But after returning to Ruth's Chris and trying some different items (the ribeye instead of the filet mignon and a corn pudding instead of wifey Kim's usual sweet potato casserole) I have a renewed love for Ruth's Chris. It's a bit disappointing that there are Ruth's Chris restaurants everywhere; it kills its uniqueness and makes it feel like a chain. But the food is amazing and the service is top notch...and a meal for two costed $150, not the $200+ that shitty CraftSteak cost. (Side note: I don't hate Colicchio. Craft, his flagship restaurant, is amazing. CraftSteak just happens to fall short, especially given the price.)

But the best part of the evening was taking part in the improv show. I didn't realize when I booked my tickets that row BB was first row. When we arrived at the show and were taken to our seats, wifey Kim was amazed at my great seat selection. I just basked in the glory as though it was all part of my plan to give her a wonderful evening. During the first improv sketch, the comedians asked for a couple of things including "a random thing." Wifey Kim said quietly to me, "raisins," which in and of itself is humorous because she hates raisins...and I mean hates. She can't eat if there is a raisin in eyesight. So, I yelled out, "RAISINS!" Being in the front row has its privileges. Not only was I heard, but I got a weird look from Colin, who replied, "...okay...raisins..." with a quizzical look on his face. I guess raisins don't go well with Norway and the luge.

Even better, though, in the second half of the show, they did a sketch where an audience member provides all of the sound effects. I don't mean to toot my own HONK HONK but I'm pretty good at sound effects. Wifey Kim grabbed my arm and thrust it in the air, so once one of the comedians started looking for volunteers, I definitely stood out. It helps having a hot chick hold you up like you were a letter and she was Vanna White. I got up on stage and for the next 20 minutes did sound effects while Colin and Brad did a sketch about white water rafting. It was wild being on that stage and shaking the hands of people who I'd watched on TV for years. It was also hella fun, and pretty much made my weekend.

This is the part where I segue into a PLO hand, but it doesn't seem right to tack that on to a post about improv comedy. On one hand, the strategy readers have already abandoned this post; on the other, the people remaining probably don't care much for PLO. So I'll just make it its own post.

If all goes well, the new HighOnPoker.com will be up and running in a matter of days. I thank you all for your patience. Once it switches over, anyone on the RSS feed will still get new posts without doing anything. That is, as long as they are on my Feedburner RSS feed, they won't have to do anything. For everyone else, if you stop hearing from HoP soon, well, go to HighOnPoker.com and get the new RSS feed. I'll do my best to make this transition as easy as possible for you. I know breakups can be hard on the children, but I just want you to know that it isn't your fault, and Blogger and HoP still love you very much. They just don't like each other anymore.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 2:54 PM,

1 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger BWoP said...

We *both* wrote about CraftSteak? Interesting. I've never been to Craft, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home