Check It: DADI |

 




Vegas Prelude

Sometimes I think that the attitude that Woffles has that makes him so entertaining to read will also be his biggest obstacle in getting to a place where his game is solid and secure from bankroll tilting. If you can't look at your own game and improve upon yourself, then are you are destined to continue the same cycle of building a bankroll and losing a bankroll? You all know about my trials and tribulations on the virtual felt, but one thing is for certain, at least to me. Where my online game lacks, it does so because of my inability to focus, do largely to that feeling that I'm playing a videogame and the readily available distractions, including intoxicants. I don't have many illusions about my online game, but I've also come to accept certain shortcomings in an effort to focus on what has been, to me, the more successful endeavor, live play.

Live play, baby! In 26 hours, I'll be touching down in Vegas ready to check-raise a bunch of tourist douschebags. The fact that I'm a tourist douschebag isn't lost on me, but at least I write about poker, thereby actively engaging in analysis and the game. It is one of the great benefits of poker blogging. With each post, you or I are hopefully actively thinkiing about the game, considering plays, reads, everything to figure out how we can improve. It's the next generation of the communities that built up in places like the undergrond Mayfare club in NYC, where players like Action Dan and Howard Ledered played some poker and then hit the bar for drinks and critical poker talk. Poker is very much a game of one, an individual against himself, but it always helps to have a second person to bounce ideas off of. I'm fortuante to have this blog and readers, because some of the analysis of yesterday's post were very helpful. In the "real world," I'm lucky to have guys like Dave Roose and Matty Ebs, compadres who I can trust to tell me what I'm doing wrong, what I'm doing right and how I can improve in particular areas. I've sat at tables with 9 enemies, and it makes for a helluva game, but I'd rather have 8 enemies and a friend, if for no other reason than to have someone to discuss the game with after the fact.

Ah, I'm rambling. I'm just so freakin' excited for Vegas that I can't think of anything else, really. I'll go through the work day and prepare everything that needs to be done this week, but as soon as I can, I'm hitting the street, packing my bags, and waiting ever so anxiously for my flight early tomorrow morning. Thank god, I'm flying in with Roose on Jet Blue. Even with all of Jet Blue's crappy press lately, they still have some fine customer service, airline seats and TVs. I was planning to bring a slew of items on the plane, but with the TV, I can make due with one book and an iPod. Oh, and maybe a deck of cards, in case Roose wants to play some Chinese Poker (and yes, I can't help but capitalize Chinese Poker).

This will be my 2nd trip to Vegas, and I can already tell that I am going to gorge myself on gambling once I arrive. I'm ostensibly running the social aspect of the trip, complete with a loose itinerary. Very loose itinerary. Once I sent it out, I got a half-dozen emails with other suggestions, and I reverted to my fallback position: we meet up, we get $4.95 steak dinners at Ellis Island and we discuss our plans as a group. Fortunately, I'm NOT in charge of the entertainment. That, I left for someone else. It's solely my job to enjoy the performance.

Vegas vegas vegas. Wish me luck, people. I'll be back on Monday with a Trip Report, or at least as much of a trip report as I can remember.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 10:29 AM,

5 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger StB said...

Best of luck!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

GL in donkey heaven.

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger CarmenSinCity said...

Hey!!!!!

Give me a call when you get into town. I'll meet you at the MGM or something and we can play some poker!!!!!

E-mail me if you want my cell number or send me yours.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Haha! You so fucking clueless it isnt even funny.. I study this game like nobody else.. I modify my play all the time.. and learn a fuck load from everyone who I see as successful.. Just cause your not on that list please do not be angry. Haters. pfft.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Just remember, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. But what you catch in Vegas will follow you home.

GL at the tables man. Looking forward to some good trip posts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home