Check It: DADI |

 




Up to Here

As I sit in my office exhausted but moving along, one thought passed through my head: I am sick of online poker.

Sick of it I say! As you may have read, I've hit a bad run. My play isn't particularly inspired and my luck is in the crapper. My bankroll was at $760 three weeks ago (or thereabouts), and now, it is down to probably $250 at most, after a withdrawal of $125. The loss is hard to take, but I do believe it is due in large part to our ole friend Variance. Even so, I will not be a slave to Variance. And I can take a break.

Other things are making online poker seem less important. First, my live game has been decent lately, and I vastly prefer it to the online game. I am going to Atlantic City for Christmas and the NYC underground poker clubs I frequent have restarted their low buy-in tourneys recently. Often after one of these, playing online has lost its luster. It's like going out for a big steak dinner and then coming home and finding out that the wife has made you a meatloaf. Meatloaf is good honey, but I'm full. Throw that stuff in some tupperwear. I'll be ready for it tomorrow night.

Meanwhile, thanks to Chipper, I've found a new outlet for my game-addiction. I use addiction lightly of course. When I'm sitting around, watching TV can only go so far. I need to engage my mind. So, I've been playing a videogame, Command & Conquer, which is fairly old. It serves its purpose, allowing me a distraction and a bit of mental exercise which doesn't involve gambling money. In fact, when I feel the tilt come, I sign off and turn on C&C. I believe it is a highly recommended way to control tilt.

Holidays are also a welcomed distraction. With my bday, Xmas, and New Years coming up, I've found other things to do than play online.

I've got to go because time is tight lately, but I wanted to share with you my fed-uppedness with online poker.

In two days, I'll probably be all over it once again. Until then...

posted by Jordan @ 6:05 PM,

3 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch. Downturns SUCK! You're on the right track to taking some time off from poker. Command and Conquer sounds fun. My other addiction is World of Warcraft.

I finally decided to go back and play a bit tonight in warm up efforts for my upcoming Team Poker play on Pokerroom.com. I entered into two cheap $6+.50 Turbo SNGs on Poker Stars. I won the 1st won and placed 3rd in the second. Two money finishes!

I quit after that and celebrated by reading some blogs and bashing some undead skeleton butt on Warcraft - all while watching Monday Night Football!

I found that a downturn tends to fuel on itself until it becomes an inferno. The more you lose the more you chase to get it back. I've had a few big downstreaks already this year. It takes a while to bounce back. Sometimes a very long time. One thing I did to bust out of a slump was to enter into a few modest 2-5 table SNG's. Winning one of those can do wonders for a recovery.

Hang loose. Clear the mind. When you are ready - come back and play YOUR game.

Happy Birthday early!

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll be back!

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you Jordan.Currently having the pleasure of writing up last nights $300 loss.

Got to let it go and move on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home