Check It: DADI |

 




Don't Believe the Hype

The local news makes me sick. SICK I say! Last night, Fox 5 news ran a little clock in the corner of the screen, counting down to the NYC Transit strike, which would effectively shut down the city. Without public transportation, no one would be going to work. No one would be going anywhere. Just to drive into the city, you would need 4 people in your car. Hells yeah! This city is so badass and fortified that we can stop people entering if they don't carpool. How ya like that!

At my firm's holiday party last night, the potential strike (scheduled to start at midnight if no resolution was passed) was a topic of conversation. When we all left, it wasn't "goodbye", it was "see you tomorrow, hopefully." At least that's what our mouths said. We were all thinking, "hopefully we'll all be stuck at home tomorrow."

But, you know what? I said that there wasn't going to be a strike. I said this yesterday morning, yesterday afternoon, and yesterday night. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

So, the point of this non-poker rant is this: Fuck you local news, you lying, bottom-feeding scum suckers! Fuck you all in the fucking ass!

The strike was a blatant empty threat from the MTA (metropolitan transportation authority) workers, and a boon for the local news, who use d it to drum up ratings. Fuck you local news!

A week or two ago, there was a Monday where we expected heavy snow, which would have meant another forced day away from the office. For a week, everyone anticipated the storm, following the local news closely. When Monday rolled around, there were barely flurries. Fuck you local news!!

And I'm not even going to go into that usual cliched "Weatherman gets paid for being wrong" rant. I mean, fuck you, Weatherman, but it ain't just you. You are just a cog in the propaganda machine that is local news. And Fuck you local news!!!

This summer, I watched the news following Katrina. Word had it, a hurricane was going to touch down in Florida. The local news assholes saw their opportunity and showed their sheep viewers a projection of the hurricane's path...which would run right through New York! A Hurricane in NYC!!!! Unheard of!!!! Amazing!!!! We had all just seen the devastation of Katrina, so, yeah local news, exploit our fears! Oh, and fuck you too!

The path showed the hurricane's range of path, reaching deep west and well into the fucking Atlantic Ocean. A hurricane in New York! Fucking impossible! In the end, nothing came even close. But when we had some windy weather, the news still played it up as Armaggedon. So, fuck you news!

Have you ever heard this commercial between your primetime shows: "What common household clothe is killing your child! Find out tonight at 11!" Well, fuckface, if my kid is dying, maybe you could do a fucking public service and tell me now! "Find out what food could actualy be poisoning you, tonight at 10!" Assholes!

Hmmm....

Okay. I'm cool. FUCKING LOCAL NEWS.

Okay, I'm cool, I swear. Ah!

So, um, I played some poker, to the tune of -$4.50. Doesn't bother me none, though, since I was three-tabling 1/2 limit and I feel like I am getting back into the swing of things. I'd give more info, but I've wasted enough time.

Come with me if you want to win!

posted by Jordan @ 10:23 AM,

9 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Local news in Greensboro is a joke too...

Bastardos!

BTW, nice comment on G's blog...had me laughing...

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should read "The Culture of Fear: Why Americans Are Afraid of the Wrong Things" by Barry Glassner. Based on the opinions you expressed in this post, I think you'd find it interesting.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was dealt 7-2 off in the big blind and ummmm

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will check that book out Lady Falcon. I read a book called, "Bias" about the liberal media bias on network television that was somewhat interesting. Now, I'm a liberal, so that should say something. I just don't get it. The news should be above all of this, but it isn't. I mean, I'm no idealist. I know that they are trying to make a buck. BUT, don't they also have a duty to diseminate information. Fuck local news.

And Joaquin, finish the damn story!

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuckity fuck fuck...

Thought I would add a couple more for good measure. Have a good Weekend!

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like dropping a few dozen F-bombs in a blog to drum up excitement! OK Mr HighOnPoker, that's a frickin 3 hour time-out for you! Don't worry, we'll make sure to deduct your blinds for you. hehehe.

know what you mean about News stations and ratings.

"The world to end - but how soon? News at 10".

 
At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost never curse. But FUCK, FUCK, FUCK..it has been one of those weeks......7 days no poker...

Can you erase this in a couple of days? By then I will be feeling tremendously guilty for using that word.

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen "The Weatherman" with Nicolas Cage? It came out two months ago.

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I was dealt 7-2 off in the big blind and ummmm"

You played it and lost the pot?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home