Check It: DADI |

 




Pot Pourri

I entered a betting pool with my brother in law Marc. Its an interesting pool. For $100, you are entered into a pick'em league, a survivor pool (choose one team each week, if they win, you survive to the next week; if you pick a losing team twice, you are eliminated; you cannot choose the same team twice in a season), a margin pool (same as survivor, but you keep track of the amount of points you win by and the highest total wins), and a few other random pools. I pushed for Jacksonville as our survivor/margin pick. At the time, the spread was the same as the New England spread, and I wanted to keep NE in our back pocket for later in the season. Well, JAX lost, so fuck that. Oh well. No one will ever get me confused with a sports bettor.

I am a better lawyer than I am a sports bettor, so I guess I have that going for me. This morning I had to go to Court where a Judge had already threatened sanctions against me for making simple discovery motions. This time, the Judge threatened sanctions again, and even included a price tag, $1500, but I stood my ground. I won, too. The Defendants had to give me everything I wanted AND if they don't comply, they'll be paying sanctions. Score one for the good guys.

We hired a new associate a month or two ago. He's a good guy, and actually reminds me of myself when I was first learning the ropes. He had to cover another motion for me this morning. I spent Friday walking him through the process since he was out of the office on Monday. I went through everything with painstaking detail, since I know how much it sucks to be at Court and have no idea what's going on with the Court system or the case. He came back today with the best case scenario, an order giving us everything we want AND also sets a date for us to come back in case the Defendants don't comply. Make no doubt about it, if there was a reason why law suits take so long, its the Defendants. A Plaintiff has to build sandcastles, but all a Defendant has to do is sit on their ass, and then stroll by later and kick it over. Its the way the system is and its not a reflection on the individuals who practice insurance defense, although, like most areas of law, they have more than their fair share of assholes.

Granted, none of this is poker, but I haven't been playing much. Last night, wifey Kim and I watched two episodes of Heroes (she was ready for #3, but it was getting late and I didn't want her passing out in the middle of "Four Months Ago." I've never been a fan of reruns of serialized shows, but Heroes has once again amazed me. In each episode I see a variety of things I either forgot or didn't notice. The hardest part is fielding wifey Kim's questions. "Is he a Hero?" "What are they talking about?" and so on. I don't want to ruin anything for her, but I also want to help her along, since the show can be a bit twisted and convoluted with all of the different storylines.

After we watched the shows, I signed up for the Hoy tournament. I went out 14th out of 25. I started off playing well, but in the end, my play dissolved as I got tired and less interested. Online poker just hasn't held my interest lately, but that's all fine and good. Lord knows its only a matter of time before I'm back to playing online poker nightly. In fact, I lost the Hoy shortly after wifey Kim went to bed. On one hand, when she left I felt relieved that I could focus. On the other, I actually (warning! sappy, ghey comment pending) missed her, even though we spent all night together and she was in the next room. Jordan loves Wifey Kim.

While I'm rambling, I'm sure we've all saw or heard about the debacle that was Britney Spears' performance at the Video Music Awards. I watch an assload of television, so I'd like to add my 2 cents on the VMAs in general. Britney Spears was the perfect openning act, because she really set the tone for the show. Unfortunately for the VMAs, the tone was set as "mess." There is little sadder than watching the spank material of a generation turn from underage hottie to barely of-age piggy slob. She is clearly suffering from the same problems suffered by Michael Jackson, Tom Cruise and a bazillion other celebrities before her. No one is telling her no. When you get rich and famous, most of the people around you are ass-kissing sycophants, who want to bask in the run-off of your limelight. These people are not going to tell you that you look like a pig, or that you should not go out drinking, snorting and fucking while your babies are at home with the nanny 5 days a week. Nope. Those fuckers will tell you, "Oh Britney, the orange Cheetos dust around your mouth looks so sexy!" and "That bra and panties outfit looks so hot! Of course you should wear it on stage in front of millions of people!" What trash!

But as bad as she was, the VMAs were generally a train wreck. Clearly, the production was filled with flubs, from people waiting around for their cues, to half-interested presenters who could barely read the teleprompters. It was like watching a kindergarten production. I half expected presenters to come out in paper mache turkey costumes and pilgrim hats.

Oddly, the highlight of the night came from the man who first deflowered that sweaty hog named Britney. Justin Timberlake, he of the Timbaland Tribe, challenged MTV to play more videos. True dat, JT! I mean, how can you have an award show for something that isn't even shown publicly anymore. And don't give me that MTV2 crap. MTV needs to play videos. Their failure to do so has actually hurt the artists, who now cannot get budgets for videos. Whatever. Fucking MTV.

Where the hell dd this post go. Nothing to do now but hit post and get the fuck out. Thanks for reading.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 12:32 PM,

5 Comments:

At 12:53 AM, Blogger MHG said...

Man, I did one of those survivor leagues a few years back and lost in the first week too. I don't know what possessed me to pick Green Bay, but I think it was a Monday Night game and my thought process went something like: "Bret Favre? On a Monday night?! Lock!"

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Wlokos said...

All those artists think they need such big budgets for videos? Go look at OK Go, they needed like $50 for their treadmill video and it's the best music video ever.

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, man, jacksonville screwed me over too. and there were over 400 people in the suicide pool @ 100 each. first prize over 40k. bummer.

fidobuster.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Wlokos, I hear ya. With the YouTube generation, big budgets aren't needed for videos. However, I still think that there is a place for music videos on mainstream television (MTV) as opposed to secondary channels (MTV2). Maybe I'm just a holdover from the "old days" of MTV.

Fido, MHG, I usually do well in survivor leagues, since lack of knowledge doesn't hurt me as much. Still, fucking JAX.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Schaubs said...

And here I thought this post was going to be about Pot. Damn it you tricked me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home