Check It: DADI |

 




Skidoo Takes Manhattan

You should see the emails being passed between GCox, TripJax and I. As time passes, the tone of the emails has transitioned to the usual joy of impending poker to the ghostly voice that accompanies the realization that poker as we know it is gone. It isn't something any of us has typed out specifically, but rather the big pink elephant in the room that everyone sees and no one wants to discuss. Things don't look good with emails like, "I only have $10 left on FT, so I won't be playing any time soon."

Of course, I'm not going to sit here and type hellfire and brimstone at ya. What is, is, and what will be, will be. I believe that there are certain things that are really out of my individual control, and the government is first and foremost on that list. I don't vote because the cost of going to vote outweighs the benefit of going, a happy feeling that I did my civic duty. Some of you are wincing right now and will probably think that I am a terrible person for not voting, but on a pure cost-benefit analysis, my decision makes sense. After all, no one in NY that I am aware of has ever won or lost an election on one vote. Sure, if everyone thought like me then my entire voting block would be wiped out and I'd be doomed to lose...but I can't control the rest of that "block" anyway, so that is out of my hands as well.

So this is how I'm handling the change. That and as much live poker as possible.

One of my concerns with my own personal withdrawal and Neteller's withdrawal from online poker is that the poker blogging community will be strained. 99% of the time that I spend with my fellow writers are online playing poker. The WPBT event, with 61 or so players, is a sign that we are staving off the end. But there are other things that have brought me pockets of joy, playing live poker with new people. And that leads us to Thursday...

Last night, wifey Kim turned to me while I finished preparing the ziti I made us for dinner and said, "You can play poker Thursday night because I am going to dinner and drinks with some friends from work." I let that marinate and later, when I checked my email, I confirmed my suspicions. None other than 23Skidoo would be in NYC that night, and all was right in the cosmos.

Right now, the plan is to head to Salami Club for their 7:30pm $50+10 tournament, followed by their deep stack 1/2 NLHE game. Skidoo and I tossed the idea of dinner around, but when I mentioned that it would be hard to fit in work, dinner and the tournament, Skidz essentially echoed my sentiment: "Dinner takes a back seat to poker as long as I can grab something at some point."

And with that said, I put out this general announcement:

If you will be in the NYC area on Thursday, February 1st and are either throwing a home game (cough I Had Outs cough) or would like to join Skidoo and I for some poker (cough I Had Outs Cause You Are Degenerates cough), hit me up with an email or leave a comment.

And that concludes today's announcements.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 9:44 AM,

9 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Dawn Summers said...

Oh man...you know ordinarily I would love to, but I'm scheduled to go to a new private game out in outer Siberia (aka Jersey) that night.

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard New York city law offices make great poker room brothels after hours! They have those nice big wooden tables and a ton of freebies, pencils, legal pads, free coffee, and red pens!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

I still have hope beyond hope that the dust will settle and, voila, we will have a legel, regulated poker scene in the future.

In the meantime, I'm just playing it by ear and letting things go as they will. If my voice is warranted, I'll jump in the ring and fight. Just have to see how things settle.

And hey, it was $11 ! I'm gunning for a Mookie win tomorrow biotches!

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Dawn, you made me a sad panda.

Kip, you are actually on to something there. It got my brain juices flowing. Let's hope your crazy scheme doesn't get me fired.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm making yet another withdrawal tonight, directly from the sites.

And feel dirty doing it :(

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I only recently discovered your blog and its great. I too have a committment to a regular home game this thursday but am REALLY trying to find a new card club here in the City (i live in Manhattan). used to play at the All In Club (mid town west or so) for about 4 months until they were shut down. just recently starting looking for a new spot. prefer NLHE cash games, 1-2 & 2-5. is there any way someone would be willing to share where a couple of clubs are i could check out? or even just one?? i assume folks are hesitant to give this info out but i don't really know where else to look, except ask around when i'm in AC next.
would appreciate any help.
Jonathan
j_c_r9@hotmail.com

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Gnome said...

There's more to voting than a cost-benefit analysis.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Of course there is, Mark. That's just my justification for apathy. But that is my way. Namaste.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Alceste said...

We tried to get a game going at our law office, but a partner put the kibosh on it (which is why Dawn will be traipsing out to Sibera on Thursday).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home