Check It: DADI |

 




Weird Work Experience

I'm running around a lot today. I have a client in the office with one of my experts. I have some documents that just came in that need to be coordinated with three other people/entities. I have so many documents to draft/reserach/follow-up on. And then this happens....

My client who is in the office provided me with some documents. I thought I was supposed to keep them, but as he was leaving after 6 hours with the expert, he asked about the documents. I'm walking briskly to the file, and I hear my boss call me into his office.

Okay, I'm game. I'll do whatever needs to be done and get to my client.

In his office is one of the other head partners and a co-worker in the same position as me. They've been in the room for an hour at least. I don't know what they are discussing, but it is likely case evaluations or strategy.

I walk in and my boss has a big grin. Before I'm entirely through the door he asks, "Jordan, who is the best poker player you know?" I immediately think of Brunson, but I'm not sure what my boss is asking. "Know personally or generally?" I ask. "Personally." A fraction of a second later, I reply in deadpan, "Me."

They all laugh. The boss says, "I told you he so," to the other partner and coworker. I have a big grin on. I don't know what they were asking for, but it wasn't a negative. I could read that from the room. I finished, "If you don't think you are the best at poker, you shouldn't be playing." It's a little riff on my general theory that to be successful, you cannot sit down expecting to lose and/or expecting that you are playing against superior players.

Confidence goes a long way. It will serve you at the table and when your boss calls you in to ask about the best poker player you know. This, I'd bet on!

posted by Jordan @ 3:37 PM,

6 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that everything cleared through VPP and I now have Poker Tracker and I wanted to make sure everything went through on your side. Have a great night, I am gonna start my next promotion very shortly.
Dave

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait till you office finds out about your blog....Maybe you should come out of the closet with them!! lol

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to go play the 7:30 tourney at Genoa tonight, if you're interested.

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, that is hilarious. My boss would not go that far...I love it.

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, who would win if you played Doyle headsup? That is the real question.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I asked my coworker what the deal was with the question. Apparently, he asked my boss if he could keep a straight face making a particular argument in front of the court. The partner chimed in that he would have no problem because he used to play poker. Coworker added that I play poker. Then they called me in. Maybe they were looking to see if I could keep a straight face when I announced that I was the best player I know.

I'm not even sure that Brunson is the best player, but he is certainly the one who comes to mind first. How would I play him? Aggressively. And I'd pounce on his all-ins, since he ssems to use all-in bluffs or semi-bluffs a lot more now than he used to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home